Thursday, May 10, 2012

Celebrate Me Home

Okay,...so considering my last post was kinda serious, and not so happy,....this one will be about how I've come almost full circle of the music I listen to. Believe it or not, when I was really young,(think elementary school,) I listened to AM Top 20. I really loved it, and it really made a big impression on my musical tastes. My father is/was the other BIG influence, and now that I'm in my late 40's, it's come FULL CIRCLE. I catch myself listening to Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Gladys Knight,John Denver, Carole King, Barbara ,Streisand,- shall I go on?! Yeah. My father would have been in love with Alicia Keyes, and probably even Lady Gaga. My father had impeccable musical taste for his time. Barbara is my GOD. Any movie she did from the 60's is like all I can watch whenever I find 'em, and I was so traumatized by 'A Star is Born',.....it took me so long to recover from that movie, I STILL feel the after-effects from it. I ALWAYS think if something happened to my husband how horribly DEVASTATING it would be, and how you could NEVER recover from it. Speaking of,.......this month it's been 18 YEARS since my father has been gone, and I cried my eyes out all week. I didn't even realize it until I went on Facebook and realized my niece who was born two weeks after my dad died, her 18th birthday was this week. Talk about shock, sadness, and memories. Wow. Hit me like a ton of bricks. So hard. I don't think I'll ever get over my father being gone, - even at the ripe old age of 47. (My mom at 74 STILL gets extremely upset when the day comes that her mother passed when she was 15 yrs. old. SO traumatizing.) I ended up listening to Carly Simon, Carole King, Kenny Loggins, Toto, and Paul Davis when I was in junior high school. I mean the main bands I loved were all the southern rock that came out then too. I was obsessed with Lynyrd Skynyrd,Allman Bros,. Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Blackfoot, Charlie Daniels, and Molly Hatchet. Yeah,- I had very varied tastes,.....STILL DO. I remember when I was in junior high two girls that I idolized, invited me to a concert, and it was Kenny Loggins,-we had a blast,- and I was hooked forever more. FOREVER MORE I tell you. To this day I adore him,......and Michael McDonald,......and Jamey Johnson,.....I could go on and on.(I did inventory last night at work and caught myself listening to a loop of "Kenny Loggins Alive!", and I STILL want to hear it some more!) Anyways~ my father instilled in me such great musical ears. I love so many different styles now,....from Jay-Z, Alicia Keyes, to Jamey Johnson, to Taylor Hicks, and throw in Stevie Wonder, and Diana Ross, and I can go on and on. Linda Perry, P!nk, and Chicago, and I'm done. (Not really, but that's how VARIED my musical tastes are.) Thanks dad. You really were the best. So much I have to be thankful for, so many great times and memories,.......so much that so many will never have had what we did. The best memories we made,......the best times we had. I so miss him with everything in me.

No comments: